Concerned about the management of major programs, Congress placed a temporary hold on over $1 billion dollars allocated for several large projects at DHS until certain conditions for improvements are met.
Programs put on temporary hold include:
- The Coast Guard’s Integrated Deepwater Systems ship replacement program: $550 million held out of $1 billion
- The Secure Border Initiative (including the SBInet virtual fence): $400 million / $775 million
- CBP’s Automated Commercial Environment: $217 million / $317 million
- U.S. VISIT (that collects fingerprints from foreign visitors): $75 million / $300 million
Congress’ detailed instructions were included in the continuing resolution signed by President Bush last week that included fiscal 2009 appropriations for DHS.
- Full article
- CRS (Congressional Research Service) Report: DHS FY2009 Appropriations
- Breakdown of FY2009 DHS funding